how to pronounce batten
how to improve pronunciation of batten
press buttons with phonetic symbols to learn about each sound.
meanings of batten
- To fertilize or enrich, as land.
- To gratify a morbid appetite or craving; gloat.
- To improve by feeding; fatten; make fat or cause to thrive due to plenteous feeding.
- To thrive, prosper, or live in luxury, especially at the expense of others; fare sumptuously.
- To feed (on); to revel (in).
- To fasten or secure a hatch etc using battens.
- To thrive by feeding; grow fat; feed oneself gluttonously.
- To furnish with battens.
- To become better; improve in condition, especially by feeding.
- The movable bar of a loom, which strikes home or closes the threads of a woof.
- In stagecraft, a long pipe, usually metal, affixed to the ceiling or fly system in a theater.
- A long strip of wood, metal, fibreglass etc., used for various purposes aboard ship, especially one inserted in a pocket sewn on the sail in order to keep the sail flat.
- A thin strip of wood used in construction to hold members of a structure together or to provide a fixing point.
- A surname.