how to pronounce balk
how to improve pronunciation of balk
press buttons with phonetic symbols to learn about each sound.
meanings of balk
- The area of the table lying behind the line from which the cue ball is initially shot, and from which a ball in hand must be played.
- A motion used to deceive the opponent during a serve.
- (sports) A deceptive motion.
- The wall of earth at the edge of an excavation.
- An illegal motion by the pitcher, intended to deceive a runner.
- An uncultivated ridge formed in the open field system, caused by the action of ploughing.
- Beam, crossbeam; squared timber; a tie beam of a house, stretching from wall to wall, especially when laid so as to form a loft, "the balks".
- A hindrance or disappointment; a check.
- An omission.
- The rope by which fishing nets are fastened together.
- The area of the table lying behind the baulk line.
- A sudden and obstinate stop.
- To pass over or by.
- To engage in contradiction; to be in opposition.
- To leave or make balks in.
- To omit, miss, or overlook by chance.
- To indicate to fishermen, by shouts or signals from shore, the direction taken by the shoals of herring.
- To stop, check, block.
- To miss intentionally; to avoid.
- To refuse suddenly.
- To stop short and refuse to go on.
- To disappoint; to frustrate.
- To leave heaped up; to heap up in piles.
- A surname.